|Venue: MA Chidambaram Stadium, Chennai Date: 5-9 Feb Time: 04:00 GMT|
|Coverage: Live textual content commentary plus evaluation and debate on The Cricket Social on the BBC Sport web site and app. Day by day Test Match Particular podcasts.|
India v England 2021
England batsman Zak Crawley has been dominated out of the primary two Tests towards India after spraining a wrist in a “freak” accident.
The 23-year-old slipped on a marble flooring exterior the altering room throughout Tuesday’s observe session.
Crawley, who opened in England’s 2-0 Test series win in Sri Lanka in January, was set to bat at three to accommodate the returning Rory Burns.
Ollie Pope may change Crawley after recovering from a shoulder damage.
Dan Lawrence, who made his debut batting at 5 in Sri Lanka, can also be in rivalry.
England even have all-rounder Ben Stokes and tempo bowler Jofra Archer returning for the four-Test series, which begins on Friday.
Captain Joe Root, who will play his 100th Test in Chennai, mentioned England have taken precautions exterior the altering room.
“We initially simply put some towels down and since then they’ve put one thing extra substantial down,” he mentioned. “We all know we have to watch out.
“You are feeling for players who decide these accidents up – doing every part they will prepare, and one thing as freak as that may have such a huge impact.”
On Pope’s return, Root instructed “It is an actually thrilling time to see him again within the fold.
“Now we have so many alternative choices we are able to go together with when it comes to the staff. We’ll take a look on the pitch and attempt to make the correct name.”
An England and Wales Cricket Board assertion learn: “Scan outcomes have confirmed that Crawley has jarred his proper wrist, which has strained the joint and led to native irritation.
“The England medical staff will proceed to evaluate his progress over the following few weeks.”
India goal ‘important wicket’ of Root
India captain Virat Kohli mentioned Root’s is the “important wicket” his staff will goal.
Kohli and Root are a part of the so-called ‘large 4‘ – a bunch of the main batsmen on this planet that features New Zealand’s Kane Williamson and Australia’s Steve Smith.
Kohli was a part of the India aspect when Root – now 32 – made his Test debut as a 21-year-old in Nagpur in 2012.
“I’ve good recollections of watching Joe come on to the international scene and he most likely bought off to a head begin in comparison with the opposite three in that group of 4,” mentioned Kohli.
“He is somebody who has actually change into that face of England’s batting over time.
“The discussion of ‘large 4‘ is all created by the media, however as a world cricketer you perceive affect players while you see them and Joe has been considered one of them for some time now.
“After we play England, Joe is at all times that important wicket that we glance to get early on within the innings.
“That may be praise to his recreation, to the longevity and consistency over so a few years. Hopefully, sooner or later we are able to sit down and have a pleasant lengthy chat about how our journeys have gone and taking part in one another over so a few years.”
India’s dominance at home – the stats
- India has gained 29 and drawn 5 of their previous 35 Tests at home, courting again to 2013. Their only loss in that interval was a 333-run defeat by Australia at Pune in 2017.
- India hasn’t misplaced a house Test series since England’s 2-1 victory in 2012. India has gained all 10 series since.
- England misplaced 4-Zero on their most up-to-date journey to India, a five-Test series in 2016.
- England has gained 4 of their previous 5 series towards India in all circumstances, together with a 4-1 victory at dwelling in 2018.
- England has gained their previous 5 abroad Tests, their longest run since profitable seven in a row from 1911 to 1914.
- Joe Root will change into the 15th man to play 100 Tests for England.
- Root is one in need of equalling Michael Vaughan’s document of 26 Test wins as England skipper.
- Ishant Sharma is three wickets away from turning into the third India seamer to 300 in Test cricket, after Kapil Dev and Zaheer Khan.